PRO14 round-up: Edinburgh end Munster’s home run

  • Posted on
  • Posted in NEWS

Edinburgh end Munster home run while Ulster prove too powerful.
Eroni Sau’s 62nd-minute attempt saw Edinburgh win a Guinness PRO14 competition 18-16 in Irish Independent Park, as Munster fell with their first home defeat in only under a couple of decades.
There was nothing to separate the teams with Matt Scott crossing after a moment and the effort of Tommy O’Donnell levelling it at 10 points apiece.
On his very first PRO14 start, Ben Healy kicked 11 points for a youthful Munster side, including 2 penalties, however, Blair Kinghorn’s cross-field kick setup Sau’s crucial touchdown and Edinburgh stood firm to secure a well-merited success in Cork.
Lineout errors thwarted both sides’ progress until Van Der Walt created it a double-figures direct with a well-struck 20th-minute penalty from 40 metres out. Twenty-year-old prospect Healy hit a few minutes after, landing his first points for Munster.
Prop Stephen Archer in the event of his cap had directed the province, and they enjoyed a purple patch close to the interval. Flanker O’Donnell burrowed over enabling Healy to kick level.
A Healy attack from distance passed Munster the lead for the first time early in the second half and that he punished a high tackle with his third penalty to make it 16-10.
However, substitute Simon Hickey was fast to react from the tee to the Scots as well as after several resolute defence, Edinburgh got back to the assault for Kinghorn to skilfully kick wide and connect with Fijian Sau, edging his side back in front.
Even though the tough conversion was missed by Hickey, Munster – that were unbeaten at home since their December 2017 reduction to Leinster – were frustrated Edinburgh defence and by their own errors. The capital team are now two points behind Munster at the top of Conference B.
Ulster conducted to maintain that the home success over the Scarlets.
Centre Matt Faddes scored two tries while Matty Rea John Cooney and Robert Baloucoune spanned at the Kingspan Stadium.
Cooney kicked two conversions after Ulster had led 24-0 at the 24, within a game that only saw two dents.
Jac Morgan claimed the Scarlets’ merely try late in the game in what was just their second league defeat of the effort.
The province also had two tries in eight minutes and made a rapid start.
It was Faddes who touched following Stuart McCloskey’s kick and then Cooney drove over from close range after Baloucoune was held.
Cooney uncharacteristically missed the conversion in a straightforward angle but landed the second in the touchline to put Ulster.
The scoreline subsequently progressed after 17 minutes. This moment, Rea was pushed over from a maul and Cooney transformed.
The attempt arrived three minutes before the half when Baloucoune got over in the ideal corner, however, the extras were missed by Cooney.
Scarlets were reduced with a yellow card shown to flanker Uzair Cassiem, but Ulster failed to score anything .
The second half brought some feeling of resurrection from the Scarlets but did not translate into motion onto the scoreboard.
With 10 minutes to go, Craig Gilroy had been yellow-carded for a high attack on Ryan Conbeer and the Scarlets needed a clear opportunity just for Corey Baldwin to knock-on.
They did get to the board using a 74th-minute try from replacement Morgan, which went unconverted from Ryan Lamb.
However, Ulster had the final state, with all Faddes crossing with two minutes left, but Angus Curtis missing the extras.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *.

You may use these <abbr title="HyperText Markup Language">HTML</abbr> tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>

Theme BCF By aThemeArt - Proudly powered by WordPress .